Friday 28 August 2015

Book Review: Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum by Georgia Madden

Title: Confessions of a Once Fashionable Mum
Author: Georgia Madden
Publisher: Nero
How I acquired book: I purchased it
Release date: Already released


Goodreads summary:

Successful hubbie? Tick. Facebook-worthy baby? Tick. Bikini-body six weeks after giving birth? Um … not so much.

Fashion PR exec Ally Bloom got her happy ending. Okay, her marriage might be showing the odd crack, her battleaxe mother-in-law might have come to stay, and she might not be the yummy mummy she'd imagined, but it's nothing a decent night's sleep and a firm commitment to a no-carb diet won't fix.

But when Ally returns to work and finds she'll be reporting to a 22-year-old airhead, she decides to turn her back on life as a professional fashionista and embrace her inner earth mama instead.

So it's out with the Louboutins and champagne and in with the sensible flats and coffee mornings with the Mummy Mafia. From attending her first grown-up dinner party only to discover that placenta is top of the menu to controlling her monster crush on local playgroup hottie Cameron, Ally must find her feet in the brave new world of the stay-at-home mum.


Review:

This book is a light fun read all about marriage, the challenges of motherhood and forming friendships.

Ally gets replaced at her job by a 22 year old airhead and decides to join a playgroup and become an earth mum instead. Through this we get to see her relationships grow with these mothers and get to see a sneak peak into their lives as well.

I was surprised to find that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This book had been sitting on my TBR shelf for months and I was honestly thinking about donating it as I didn't have any inclination to read it. When I got into my reading slump I decided to try something different and picked up this book.

From the 1st page I was hooked and could not put this book down. Being an Australian mum myself and attending playgroups when my daughter was younger I could totally relate to that aspect of the book and how you just want to feel accepted by these people but you are feeling judged at the same time. I could also relate (and im sure most mums can) to the struggle of deciding what to do whether to return to work or stay home and all the guilt that comes with each decision. Which made me really relate to this character.

Though this book was a little over the top I felt this was its intention and is what made it such a fun and enjoyable read.  I loved Ally Blooms sarcasm and witty comebacks and just overall her as a character. I also loved seeing the relationship between her and her mother in law and how it grew throughout the book.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone looking a fun, enjoyable read that's not looking for anything to serious. Mums would be able to relate to relate to this book but I am sure other women will also enjoy it.

Rating: 5 stars


1 comment:

  1. Ooh thank you for your lovely review of Confessions - am so happy that you enjoyed it! xx

    ReplyDelete